Wednesday, January 5, 2022

2022: Abide with me, Lord Jesus

 


“Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;

Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see—

O Thou who changest not, abide with me”

A devout man of God who has entered these days of the new year would say the words “Abide with me, Lord”.

Henry Francis Lyte who was orphaned at a young age, completed his studies with the help of his school teacher. God put a desire to serve Him in his heart. He joined the Divinity school and studied for 3 years and in the year 1815 he took holy orders in a church. He served for the glory of God in a very blessed manner. After some years he moved to a place which was less cold, as was instructed by doctors due to his tuberculosis, and continued his service there.

He worked very hard for the people of his church in a small fishing village named Brixham. He used to come to sea shore to pray for those who go for fishing and to receive them and pray again as they returned. As the days went by, Henry’s health deteriorated. 

Once as he opened his Bible for an evening prayer, the pages turned by itself due to wind that blew through the open window. The pages turned and he saw his favorite verses from Luke chapter 24 verses 29. 

“Abide with us, for it is nearly evening; the day is almost over.” Luke 24:29

Henry who was filled with the peace and joy of the Lord, strolled the beach side. He experienced the presence of Jesus. His burdens were cast away from his heart. In that joy he penned the song “Abide with me”!!!

After he wrote this song, he moved to a place in France named Nice, which was in the year 1847. While he was there, his illness aggravated and he went to be with the Lord.

As we look around at the beginning of this year 2022, we see only changes. We are unable to plan anything with confidence. There is uncertainty everywhere.  

(Change and decay in all around I see

Thou changest no abide with me)

  God is unchanging!! Let these words get fixed in our hearts.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17 

He also says, “In the beginning, Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth,

and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but you remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe;

like a garment they will be changed. But you remain the same, and your years will never end.” Hebrews 1:10-12

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

I the LORD do not change. Malachi 3:6a

Remember only an year changed…Our God is unchanging!!

Year is new, but our God is same yesterday today and forever!!!

###

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;

Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see—

O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour;

What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?

Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?

Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;

Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness;

Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?

I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;

Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies;

Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.


             





5 comments: