Wednesday, October 6, 2021

Just do the next thing...with Jesus


*This simple advice, to do the next thing, has helped countless people. It was quoted in Elisabeth Elliot’s book "The shaping of a christian family"


On her Gateway to Joy radio program, Elisabeth explained how “do the next thing” had been so helpful to her. Elisabeth and her husband Jim had been serving on the mission field in Ecuador when he was martyred, leaving her alone with an infant daughter.

When I went back to my jungle station after the death of my first husband, Jim Elliot, I was faced with many confusions and uncertainties. I had a good many new roles, besides that of being a single parent and a widow. I was alone on a jungle station that Jim and I had manned together. I had to learn to do all kinds of things, which I was not trained or prepared in any way to do. It was a great help to me simply to do the next thing.

Elisabeth goes on to say:

I’ve felt that way <other> times in my life, and I go back over and over again to an old Saxon legend, which I’m told is carved in an old English parson somewhere by the sea. I don’t know where this is. But this is a poem which was written about that legend.

The poem says, “Do it immediately, do it with prayer, do it reliantly, casting all care. Do it with reverence, tracing His hand who placed it before thee with earnest command. Stayed on omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing, leave all resultings, do the next thing.”

If you are feeling discouraged or overwhelmed, I encourage you just to do the next thing. Pray and then do the next thing after that. Trust God with the results. His yoke is easy and His burden is light. He will guide you as you look to Him.

Just do the next thing.

"Make dinner. Beg God for grace. Do the laundry. Read the Bible. Meet a spiritual friend. Take a nap,pray,go for a walk,talk with family, sing a song to God,.....

*selected....
###
Do The Next Thing

"At an old English parsonage down by the sea,
there came in the twilight a message to me.
Its quaint Saxon legend deeply engraven
that, as it seems to me, teaching from heaven.
And all through the hours the quiet words ring,
like a low inspiration, 'Do the next thing.'

Many a questioning, many a fear,
many a doubt hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from heaven,
time, opportunity, guidance are given.
Fear not tomorrow, child of the King,
trust that with Jesus, do the next thing.

Do it immediately, do it with prayer,
do it reliantly, casting all care.
Do it with reverence, tracing His hand,
who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
leave all resultings, do the next thing.

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
working or suffering be thy demeanor,
in His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
the light of His countenance, be thy psalm.
Do the next thing."


Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
John 15: 4‭-‬5‭, ‬7 




5 comments:

  1. Just do the next things... Restless busy in Walking with Jesus... Just do the next things.. Encouraged and blessed.. Thank you Jesus. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a saying in Hindi. 'Kal kare so aaj kare, aaj kare so ab kare' (What ought to be done tomorrow, do it today. What needs to be done today, do it now). Simply.... Do the next thing.
    Forget the past. Press on forward to the upward call.

    ReplyDelete