Friday, February 18, 2022

The oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.Isaiah 61:3


But as for me, afflicted and in pain may your salvation, God, protect me -Psalm 69:29

Even though the 69th Psalm begins with the loud cry of an afflicted person, it concludes with praise and thankfulness… Mainly the contempt and scoffs from others broke the heart of David. Listen carefully to the words where he conveys the sorrows of his heart before God.

Save me, O God,

    for the waters have come up to my neck.

 I sink in the miry depths,

    where there is no foothold.

I have come into the deep waters;

    the floods engulf me…

I am worn out calling for help;

    my throat is parched.

My eyes fail,

    looking for my God.

 Those who hate me without reason

    outnumber the hairs of my head;

many are my enemies without cause,

    those who seek to destroy me.

I am forced to restore

    what I did not steal.

Those who sit at the gate mock me,

    and I am the song of the drunkards.

You know how I am scorned, disgraced and shamed;

    all my enemies are before you.

 Scorn has broken my heart

    and has left me helpless;

I looked for sympathy, but there was none,

    for comforters, but I found none.

After the Psalmist shared all his trials and sorrows to God, he sang about the salvation of God in the 29th verse

But as for me, afflicted and in pain—

    may your salvation, God, protect me.

Subsequently his lamentation has become dancing. Sack cloth was removed and wearing the garment of gladness, he glorified God. Instead of a spirit of despair a garment of praise!! Hallelujah!!

I will praise God’s name in song

    and glorify him with thanksgiving.

    This will please the Lord more than an ox,

    more than a bull with its horns and hooves.

   The poor will see and be glad—

    you who seek God, may your hearts live!

   The Lord hears the needy

    and does not despise his captive people.

   Let heaven and earth praise him,

    the seas and all that move in them,

   for God will save Zion

    and rebuild the cities of Judah.

  Then people will settle there and possess it;

    the children of his servants will inherit it,

    and those who love his name will dwell there.


What happened? His meditation of the salvation of God, lifted his heart to God. 

The Prophet Habakkuk also had the same experience!

Though the fig tree does not bud

    and there are no grapes on the vines,

though the olive crop fails

    and the fields produce no food,

though there are no sheep in the pen

    and no cattle in the stalls,

yet I will rejoice in the Lord,

    I will be joyful in God my Saviour.

 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;

    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

    He enables me to tread on the heights. Habakkuk 3:17-19

What thoughts have caused you to be sorrowful now? Are they scoffs from others, hurting words…? Forgive them with all your heart.

Raise the cup of salvation which God has given you. Rejoice in the God of salvation. These Psalms contain those experiences through which our Lord has gone through. Jesus can understand you fully.

Start singing the song of salvation!

May God anoint you with the oil of gladness!

*Literal translation of a Malayalam song: “Daivathin Sneham Ha ethra Shreshtam”

Great is the love of God

Who can describe its depth?

In midst of the life’s trials and weariness

Reaches his hands of love towards you


When withered are you in wilderness

When you fall lifeless

His love gives new life and strength

And lifts you up to skies


When dear ones despise and reject you

Enjoy as they judge and punish you 

Just as a mom the love of cross

Holds me to His bosom


When life’s burdens rise up

When worn out by sicknesses

God’s love says Do not fear, 

For I am with you


3 comments: