Tuesday, February 13, 2024



*Just As I Am" was written by Charlotte Elliot in 1835, first appearing in the Christian Remembrancer, of which Elliott became the editor in 1836. The final verse is taken from Elliott's Hours of Sorrow Cheered and Comforted (1836).

Charlotte Elliot wrote this song about how to find salvation through Christ. It has been used by many as the call to the altar at the close of services, as it brings a quite simple message of sin, forgiveness, and salvation to all that turn from sin and trust in Jesus.

Charlotte spent the first 32 years of her life in Clapham, England. As a young woman, she was gifted as a portrait artist and a writer of humorous verse. Then, in her early thirties, she suffered a serious illness that left her weak and depressed. She was an invalid and suffered much during the last 50 years of her life. In 1823, she moved to Brighton. She was a member of the Church of England. Charlotte was confined to her home and unable to attend church services.

During her illness, a well-known preacher, Cesar Malan of Switzerland, came to visit her. He asked her if she had peace with God. She was facing many inner struggles because of feeling useless, and she resented the question. She refused to talk about it that day, but a few days later called Dr. Malan and apologized. She said she wanted to clean up her life before becoming a Christian. Malan answered, "Come just as you are." She gave her life to Christ that day. Some years later at age 45, Charlotte remembered those five words and began to write the seven verses of "Just As I Am" in 1834. In spite of being raised in a Christian home, she reflected on her conflicts and doubts and was unsure of her relationship with Christ. So she penned her words of assurance about Jesus loving her just as she was. William B. Bradbury composed music for her lyrics and published the song in 1849. This hymn has been translated into many languages all over the world. Tens of thousands of people have committed their lives to Christ during the playing of this hymn.

Miss Elliott wrote about 150 hymns and many poems, some of which were printed anonymously, with Just As I Am probably the best-known. Dr. Billy Graham wrote that the Graham team used this hymn in almost every one of their crusades. He said it presented "the strongest possible Biblical basis for the call of Christ." Hymnody historian Kenneth Osbeck wrote that "Just As I Am" had "touched more hearts and influenced more people for Christ than any other song ever written." Christian writer Lorella Rouster wrote, "The hymn is an amazing legacy for an invalid woman who suffered from depression and felt useless to God's service.


Just as I am, without one plea

But that Thy blood was shed for me

And that Thou bid'st me come to Thee

Oh, Lamb of God, I come, I come

Mm

Just as I am, though tossed about

With many a conflict, many a doubt

Fighting and fears within without

Oh, Lamb of God, I come, I come

Ooh, just as I am, ooh, I come

Ooh, just as I am, oh Lamb of God, I come

Just as I am, Thou wilt receive

Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve

Because Thy promise I believe

Oh, Lamb of God, I come, I come

Ooh, just as I am, ooh, I come

Ooh, just as I am, oh Lamb of God, I come

Oh lamb of God, I come









*selected

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Abba for your unfailing love 💕❣️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Lord Jesus. I come to you just as I am for your loving kindness leads me to repentance (Rom 2:4).
    "I call on you, my God, for you will answer me; turn your ear to me and hear my prayer. Show me the wonders of your great love, you who save by your right hand those who take refuge in you from their foes" (Psalm 17:6-7)

    ReplyDelete